MyNutriCourses is a brand new training hub, brought to you by MyNutriWeb,
offering flexible, expert-led, CPD-accredited courses in key topics for nutrition professionals.
Recipe Analysis 101
Recipe analysis course overview
Recipe analysis is an invaluable skill for nutrition, dietetic and other professionals. The course will help professionals to develop confidence, knowledge and skills in the analysis of recipes, and learn how to utilise and effectively communicate nutritional, health and environmental benefits through clear labelling and marketing.
- The importance of recipe analysis and foundations underpinning it
- How to use nutrient data and account for changes during the preparation and cooking of recipes in theory and practice
- How to use nutritional analysis software to analyse recipes ranging from simple to complex
- Making use of the information across various scenarios, including calculating HFSS, making nutrition and health claims, and mandatory and voluntary nutrition labelling
- The importance of sustainability, including carbon-conscious ingredient selection, and calculating an accurate measure the environmental footprint of a recipe
This course does not include:
- Allergen labelling
- Practical in-depth hands-on sessions
- 1:1 tutoring
Participants in the course will be able to:
Gain understanding of:
- How to use nutrient data and key features of recipe analysis software to allow for accurate analysis of recipes
- The regulations and guidelines that apply to recipes, pre-packed and loose foods sold to consumers
- Why and how ingredients have an impact on the environment, and what a sustainable diet looks like
- The different carbon footprint analysis databases (free and paid) that you can access
Be aware of:
- Key considerations for recipe analysis including information gathering, entering ingredients and assigning portions, weight changes, micronutrient retention, specific gravity, edible portions and sense checking
- Which criteria you must meet before you can make certain claims
- The different impacts our foods have on the planet
- Uncertainties and complexities in the carbon emissions datasets
Be able to:
- Feel confident in the steps that need to be undertaken in order to analyse recipes ranging from simple to more complex
- Identify what claims you can make, where to find the right information, what criteria you should meet and how you can word your claim
- Adapt recipes to be more sustainable for both human and planetary health
- Confidently use a tool to calculate environmental impacts and communicate this to an audience
Tanya is an Irish born, UK trained dietitian and nutritionist. She founded Nutrilicious Communications, the first solely dedicated nutrition communications agency in the UK, and subsequently founded the award-winning MyNutriWeb.com. Tanya has recently taken up the role of chair of the BDA Sustainable diets group.
Susan is a Registered Nutritionist specialising in food composition and is a co-author of McCance & Widdowson’s The Composition of Foods. As well as undertaking nutritional analysis of recipes for a range of applications, she provides training and advice to nutrition professionals on both recipe analysis and food composition.
Cordelia is a Registered Dietitian with over 10 years’ experience in dietetic roles including within the NHS. Cordelia currently works for MyNutriWeb, with a role on the programme, blog and the journal club. She has many years of experience working on recipe development and analysis for MyNutriWeb and Nutrilicious. Cordelia spends a lot of time cooking and developing recipes of her own, enjoying bringing principles of dietetics into the kitchen.
Elphee is a Nutrition and Sustainable Diets Consultant at Nutrilicious. With over 30 years’ experience working within the NHS and FMCGs, Elphee consults on all matters relating to nutrition, health and sustainability, and regularly lectures at the Cordon Bleu School London.
Dr Christian Reynolds is Senior Lecturer at the Centre for Food Policy, City University, London. Christian is recognised as a global expert on food loss and waste and sustainable diets. He is the lead editor of the Routledge Handbook of Food Waste (2019); he has also co-authored over 50 peer reviewed publications, as well as multiple reports and book chapters.
‘I am so impressed with how, in such a short space of time, MyNutriWeb have managed to fit in so much content and so much detail. The course is also a really good step by step guide, giving you video tutorials of HOW to use the analysis packages and even how to do it whilst you’re actually cooking. Really impressed and very grateful to have this course to guide me in my recipe analysis.’
‘As a Registered Dietitian for 27 years, I thought I knew all I needed to know about recipe analysis, but I was wrong! It refreshed my skills and made me more savvy about changes during food preparation, ensuring accurate nutrition analysis. It also clarified the regulatory minefield of nutrition and health claims, HFSS, and nutrition labelling. Now, I feel more confident discussing recipes and food products without repercussion – thanks to MyNutriWeb!
Lastly, the module on sustainability and tools for calculating the environmental impact of foods was truly enlightening. Though these tools are new to me, I’ll incorporate them to create more environmentally friendly recipes. My food clients and the planet will appreciate it!‘
At MyNutriWeb the needs of our nutrition community are right at the heart of what we do.
And we’ve listened to your feedback about how we can support our community even more.
You’ve told us that you’d love more opportunities for extended learning, with high-quality training courses in current, relevant topics that will empower you in your working lives.
That’s why we’ve developed MyNutriCourses, our brand-new nutrition training course platform.
Fully accredited, with a digital certificate of Continuing Professional Development on completion, our short online courses provide authoritative, expert-led tuition that users can follow at their own pace. Wherever and whenever they want.
Over coming months we’ll be releasing a programme of short courses covering key topics.
The first course in the series is ‘Recipe analysis 101’.
Our courses are:
Our presenters are highly experienced professionals including nutritionists, dietitians, psychologists, academics and many other world-class experts, all ready to share their knowledge
Our short courses provide deeper subject exploration, giving you a solid foundation in a new subject or helping develop a specialism
Self-paced courses allow you to start whenever you wish, and study at your convenience
Courses are approved by one or more CPD-accreditation bodies, including the Association for Nutrition
Earn a printable digital certificate of completion for every course you complete
Regular live ‘Q&A’ sessions allow students to put their questions directly to experts
This website is intended only for students or professionals working in food, nutrition and health. If this is you, please click to continue.