This website is intended only for students or professionals working in food, nutrition and health. If this is you, please click to continue.
This page is for members of MyNutriWeb Journal Club to watch recorded sessions and download slides.
Session 1: Top tips for reading and reviewing a paper
Tuesday 29 September, 8pm, Dr Caroline Childs
The one-hour interactive session combined a presentation of a paper, discussion and the chance to put your questions. It was led by Dr Caroline Elizabeth Childs BSc (Hons) PhD RNutr, Lecturer in Nutritional Sciences at the University of Southampton, alongside a guest expert. Click to view the recording – you’ll need to provide your name and email address. You’ll receive a CPD certificate within two weeks of watching the full session.
CONTENT AND LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
Clear understanding of:
- The pathway by which research is conducted and published
- The language of research study designs
- The hierarchy of evidence to consider when comparing study designs
Be aware of:
- Tools which are available to assist with structured critical appraisal
- The challenges and limitations inherent within nutrition research
Be able to:
- Consider potential sources of bias in both research and media reporting of research
- Consider the context of research conducted and how you can appropriately integrate this into your own practice
Future Season 1 dates for your diary (all 8pm):
Tuesday 27 October
Tuesday 24 November
Tuesday 15 December
Tuesday 26 January
Tuesday 23 February
Tuesday 16 March
Look out in your inbox for more details as they come up!