CONTENT AND LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Dietary fibre has been dubbed the Cinderella nutrient, but could it be the secret for optimal gut health? In recent years, our understanding of dietary fibre has progressed considerably uncovering potential therapeutic opportunities applicable in both health and disease which further supports the importance of healthy plant-based eating patterns. This talk will review the latest evidence, current recommendations and future areas of research to support clinicians in practice. The key objectives include:
- Review the evolution of dietary fibre as a nutrient
- Investigate mechanisms underpinning its health benefits
- Understand fibres role in manipulating the gut microbiota
- Insight into the latest clinical trials
- Practical tips for translation into practice
BE AWARE OF:
- Different types fibre and new classification
- Interaction between fibre and gut flora
- Fibre’s mechanisms of action for health benefits
- New dietary recommendations
- IBS and low FODMAPs and importance of specialist dietetic advice
- A better understanding of the gut microbiota
- The multiple health benefits of fibre beyond gut health including mental health
- How far away from the new fibre recommendations is the UK and how to achieve it
- Rich food sources of fibre vs current UK key food contributors to fibre intake
- Impact of increasing fibre and plant-based foods for overall health and sustainability
- Common reasons and some solutions for individuals reporting fibre side effects
BE ABLE TO:
- Confidently explain the impact of the fibres on gut microbiota and association with various health benefits
- Better target an individual’s motivation for making dietary changes to increase fibre intake
- Recommend every-day realistic dietary solutions to increase fibre at all meal times and snacks
- Readily access practical and scientific information on fibre and health
Please note, webinars are not intended to be used by non-medically qualified individuals or as a substitute for, or basis for any medical treatment.
Dr Megan Rossi RD
Research Fellow Kings College London
Megan is a Registered Dietitian with a PhD in gut health from the Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University of Queensland, Australia. Megan’s PhD was recognised for its contribution to science receiving the Dean’s Award for excellence.
Megan is currently the research fellow at King’s College London investigating nutrition-based therapies in gastrointestinal (GI) health, including pre- & probiotics, dietary fibres, the low FODMAP diet and food additives. Megan was the recipient of the 2017 British Medical Journal Open Gastroenterology prize ‘Best clinical science abstract for oral presentation’ and the British Nutrition Foundation ‘Drummond Pump Priming Award’.
Megan also leads a GI health clinic on Harley Street in London and wrote an evidence-based guide to your gut health, published by Penguin Life in 2019.
WEBINAR HOST AND MODERATOR
Tanya Haffner, MD RD Nutrilicious.
CPD CERTIFICATE & LEARNING MATERIALS
This webinar has been approved for CPD by the British Dietetic Association (BDA) and Association for Nutrition (AfN).
Once you have viewed a full recorded webinar the mynutriweb team will review and arrange to send you your certificate via email from email@example.com within two weeks of viewing the webinar.
This webinar is kindly supported by an educational grant from the science and nutrition department at Alpro
Please note, approval of each sponsor and activity is carefully assessed for suitability on a case by case basis. Sponsorship does not imply any endorsement of the brand by MyNutriWeb, its organisers, its moderators or any participating healthcare professional, or their association. Sponsorship funds are reinvested into the creation and promotion of professional development opportunities on MyNutriWeb.
Feature in a Webinar
Webinar guest experts encompass topics relevant to all professionals and change agents in food and health, across all health and business sectors.
Would you like to feature in a webinar, or propose a guest expert?
Sponsor a webinar
MyNutriWeb offers organisations and brands an opportunity to sponsor topics, gaining valuable insights into the viewpoints of professionals within a moderated environment. If there is a topic that you would like to support please get in touch to discuss.